Pattern: Grainline Studios Scout Woven Tee
Fabric: Ivory - Tencel Shirting (100% Lyocell) from Joann's, Dark Purple - Cotton Sateen from Spring Sewing Swap (thanks again, Meg!)





Hello readers! First I would like to say THANK YOU for reading this blog. I am amazed that people take time to check out what is happening here on my little slice of the inter-webs.  I can honestly say that I never expected this to become a blog people actually read - hahaha. It started as a way for me to share my projects with family that lives far away, and to help others looking to sew the same garments I had. Sometimes I think my posts are inadequate, I am not a great writer (really - why can't there just be pictures), I don't do enough tutorials or giveaways, and why do I spend all this time blogging in the first place. However, I can see how other blogs have really encouraged and inspired my sewing, connecting me with people I would never have had the chance to meet otherwise, and I really hope to do the same.  If you have and suggestions of things you would like to see more of here at the quirky peach, please let me know - I will try my best to accommodate. Until then, you are stuck with slapdash reviews and average pictures of things I sew that are cute - deal with it :)



Okay, moving on! I made a Scout Tee! This pattern has been popping up everywhere on the web, due to it's simplicity, chic style, and vast opportunity for modification and embellishment. My own was inspired and provided by the wonderful Meg of Meg Made This when we were paired up in the Spring Sewing Swap (see the original post here). She sent this lovely dark purple sateen fabric for a Scout Tee and I could not wait to make it!


Unfortunately things do not always go according to our best laid plans...  While working on this tee I realized that the fabric had somehow stretched itself out of shape a bit (I do love using that iron), so I was gently tugging on it to try and correct the problem when this happened...

 

GASP! Can you believe it? And here it was a gift! Sent from across the country! I couldn't get more, and I definitely did not have enough material to cut out another back piece. I had to rethink my original idea - make lemonade out of lemons if you will. I frantically ran (well, drove) to the local Joanns to find another fabric to do some color blocking - here I had thought "No, I won't try color blocking on my first Scout Tee - I'll wait until I make it successfully in one color the first time" Ha.


When I found this amazingly soft and silky ivory fabric, I knew it would be perfect. I didn't know it was $25 a yard perfect! Good thing it was on sale for half off, but still - I don't think I have ever purchased fabric originally priced that high!  Lyocell, or Tencel, is a new fiber to me so I whipped out my phone and googled it (of course).  Here is the wiki definition:

"The US Federal Trade Commission defines Lyocell as "a cellulose fabric that is obtained by an organic solvent spinning process". It classifies the fibre as a sub-category of rayon. The fiber is used to make textiles for clothing and other purposes"

I found some really interesting facts about it in the Wikipedia article, as well as here and here. Although it is expensive, it feels amazing and I can see myself purchasing more in the future (for a deal, that is). I managed to cut wisely enough to use it for two Scout Tee's (second one coming soon!). Have you ever sewn with Lyocell?


Now for the details:

Pattern: Grainline Studio's Scout Tee

Fabric: Tencel/Lyocell for upper half, Cotton Sateen for lower half

Size: 4

My Shape: Tall (6'0), pear shape, narrow shoulders, long torso

Size Alterations:

- Lowered the armscye by 1", altering the sleeve to fit
- Lengthened by 2"

Design Changes:

- Colorblocked top half
- Added faux button placket on back  *Buttons are vintage Etsy buy - blogged here
- Curved hem

Construction Notes:

- Constructed back panel with faux button placket first
- Attached front and back upper half to front and back lower half, then continued as instructed
- Turned under for narrow hem at neckline, sleeves, and lower hem


WAIT! you say.  Didn't Meg send you bias tape and a bias tape maker specifially for this pattern and to use with this fabric?! Yes, yes she did. And yes I feel terrible that I didn't use it. However, the ivory fabric is actually somewhat sheer and I knew that bias tape, in that fun print especially, would show through. So I didn't use it :( But I PROMISE my next Scout will have bias bound neck and armholes. Deal? Deal.



So there it is! I'm heading over to Kollabora to upload it for the Sewalong - I am new to Kollabora, but excited to try it out! Are you on Kollabora? What do you think? I am interested to see how it compares to using BurdaStyle and Pattern Review.  Goodness, now I have three places to update my makes, besides my blog. Is that a little much? Are you on one of these? What do you think about them? Have you made the Scout Tee? Have you ever had a "GASP!" mistake in the middle of a project? Please share in the comments below, and thanks for reading! :)